[Newbie]Large drawings do not load into

Hi,

I have been having a problem with the new XFree86 4.0 and greater which did not exist with the older version. I work for an electrical utility and I use the Redhat Linux enviroment as an 'x-terminal' to view and edit large elctrical drawings. With Redhat 6.2 and below (XFree86 before version 4.0) I do not have a problem panning such large drawings smootly. I have more than 256MB of RAM. On viewing the memory stats one notices that the panning is possible because the drawing is loaded into this large memory space.

However with XFree86 version 4.0 on (Redhat 7.0 on or Redhat 6.2 upgraded with XFree86 version 4 on) the RAM memory is just left unused. Hence, it becomes a chore loading these large drawings (100MB), and panning is far too slow, Is there any way I can get the new XFree86 to use  the RAM memory for the graphics as currently that memory is just sitting there -- wasted when it can be used for the drawing?

PS. I have used several video cards and have arrived at the above conclusion being XFree86 version 4 onwards related, as the system RAM memory is not being utilised.

Please help.

Thanks

Rajen Harrichunder
Systems Engineer