[Newbie]New to X

Scribbling feverishly on May 28, technical questions managed to emit:
> Hey guys,
>
> I am completely new to this X thing. But had heard a lot about it and now NEED to know it.
> So the following questions follow -
>
> Whats X's primary purpose? (What am I missing without X? What will I gain with X?Why should I know X?)

Without X, you don't have a graphical interface. That's not entirely true,
but X is by far the most commonly used GUI for *nix. You don't have to
have X to use *nix, but it really helps.

> Does X come into picture in Unix-based systems only AND/OR only when Windows interfaces with Unix based systems? (X is completely out of picture when in a completely windows based network/systems?)

X has been implemented on all major operating systems, and many minor
ones. You don't need X to work with a *nix system because command line
utilities (telnet or ssh, for example) work just fine. You don't need X in
completely Windows-based network.

> Where can I get a good resource starting with X fundamentals (server/client etc) and going upto xvfb and the DISPLAY variable of the solaris etc?

I'm not quite sure I understand what you're asking here. If you just need
to learn how to use an X-based system, any Linux or BSD system with an X
installation should be sufficient.

Kurt
--
Be different: conform.