[Newbie]Using CTRL+ALT+F# and then back to X locks up

thelupine wrote:

> I take it from the lack of responses, that no one else has come across
> this, or doesn't have a fix for it just yet.  :-(

true.

however, i can offer some ideas. first, lets assume that 'lock up'
is really crash. if the x server dies, it may leave clues in either
your ~/.xsession-errors or maybe the system x error log file.

were it me, i'd look for clues as to the error output and start your
search from that rather than guessing what might have happened.

also, you might try doing a login from a different tty and doing
a startx from the login, maybe then if you switch and return, you'll
get an error text to the screen.

lastly, i saw a bug like this in a driver handoff once, turned out
to be a driver bug in the context switching from graphics to text.

hth, jackc...

ps: does no  one else have your card working?