[Newbie]32 or 24 bit color settings

Hello,

I hate to ask what may be a trivial problem but here goes. I have Linux
Mandrake 8.2 installed on a Gateway Solo 9100 Laptop. Everything is ok but I
can't seem to get the color to come out. It seems as if it's in 256 colors.
I read through the site and tried to configure xf86config but have had no
success in getting the color at a higher resolution.

When I tried configuring xf86config, I either made it worse or got it back
to the way it was at the beginning. I read something about changing
XF86Config. Is this something that is changed with a text editor? I must
admit I'm lost. I read through tonnes of web sites and found no solution.
Any help would be great.

Sincere thanks,

Steven