[Newbie]Xtremely frustrated Debian newbie

On Thu, 16 May 2002, Adam Weston wrote:

> (Sorry in advance, this pissy post is the result of extreme frustration)

Hmmm.  So why take it out on us, especially if you're asking for help?

[snip]

> The manufacturer of the chipset on my video card provides drivers for SuSE,
> RedHat, and Mandrake. Will one of these work with Debian? (not that I have
> any way to download them) They are found at:
> http://www.powervr.com/Downloads.asp

None of the RedHat, SuSE or Mandrake packages will work for your Debian
system.  That's becuase they're .rpm files which is a packaging format
invented by RedHat.  I would suggest (as you are obviously unfamiliar with
GNU/Linux that you try one of those operating systems as they are a little
easier for non-technically educated users than Debian (IMHO !  although
Debian is probably a "better" distro for all sorts of reasons)

> If anyone can just tell me the steps _ALL of them_ , and the contents of
> _EVERY_ file that I have to modify to get a decent
> resolution/colordepth/refresh, they will be my hero. Here is all the
> relevent information. If anything else is needed I will find it.

Well, although you've supplied some good information you haven't told us
what version of XFree86 you're running, what version of Debian you're
running.

Also you would appear not to have read the "Installation instructions"
link on the URL that you provide to us.  In the section in that entitled
"Non RPM distributions" it says:

NON-RPM BASED SYSTEM
====================

Requirements: linux kernel 2.4.x or >= 2.5.8, source in /usr/src/linux.

Download powervr-2.00.20-234.tgz.  Run the following commands
as root:

    tar zxvf powervr-2.00.20-234.tgz
    cd powervr-2.00.20-234
    make install

Slackware distribution note: if you are using the original kernel and
kernel source that were installed, check if the source is configured
the same as the kernel you are running.  In particular a SMP mismatch
will cause the resulting powervr kernel module to fail to depmod/insmod
with kernel_flag undefined.

To complete the installation for the first time the X server must be
configured, described in the "XFree86 Configuration" section.

If your configuration is simple, i.e. standard type of mouse,
   keyboard and only one graphics card it is recommended, unless you
   are expert at XF86 configuration, that you base your config file on
   the supplied sample and modify as per the following guidelines.

   1) First you must determine the busID of your KYRO card, this is
      done by the command:

      Red Hat:
          /sbin/lspci | grep VGA | grep SGS

      Mandrake:
          /usr/bin/lspci | grep VGA | grep SGS

      This should result in an output of the form:

      XX:YY.Z VGA compatible controller: SGS Thomson Microelectronics:
      Unknown device 0010 (rev BB)

      where
         XX:YY.Z is the bus ID of the device
         BB is the type of KYRO 01 = KYRO-I, 07 = KYRO-II

   2) Now copy the sample XF86 config file
      (/etc/X11/XF86KyroSampleConfig) to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.  If
      there is an existing XF86Config-4 file rename to something safe
      first.

   3) Edit the XF86 config file (/etc/X11/XF86Config-4) to modify the
line:

        BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
      to be
        BusID "PCI:XX:YY:Z"

      Notice that XX, YY are returned as hex while XF86Config-4 must
      have decimal values.

   4) Again in the XF86 config file uncomment the mouse appropriate
      section for your mouse, either PS/2 intellimouse or 2 button
      PS/2 mouse.  The country code of your keyboard can also be
      edited at this time, it is immediately above the mouse sections.

   5) Uncomment the appropriate font server section (located at the
      top of the file immediately after the serverlayout section).

   6) Check that there is a symlink from /etc/X11/X to
      /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 (there may already be a symlink from
      /etc/X11/X, this should be removed) i.e

        if [ -e /etc/X11/X ]; then rm -f /etc/X11/X; fi;
        ln -s /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 /etc/X11/X

      Note: On some systems the link to X may be somewhere else, to
      /usr/X11R6/bin/X for instance, but otherwise the procedure is
      the same. The path variable for the X startup process should be
      examined to see where the link to X may be.

   7) Run startx

   Problems and Troubleshooting
   ----------------------------

   The above (1-6) is aimed at simple standard configs.  If you have a
   more complex setup or less common input devices a suggested
   approach is to replace the KYRO with a card which XF86 knows of,
   and generate a XF86Config file using a standard tool.  Once
   generated the section relating to the temporary video card is
   removed and replaced with the appropriate lines from the sample
   config file.  Additionally ensure that the "Module" section
   contains the lines:
       Load "GLcore"
       Load "dri"
       Load "glx"

    and that the following section is included
       Section "DRI"
          Mode 0666
       EndSection

XF86CONFIG OPTIONS
==================
   A list of some options, but unless you are experiencing problems
   these should be left as defaults.

   Option "SWCursor" "boolean"
       Enable or disable software rendering of the X cursor.
       Default: off.

   Option "HWCursor" "boolean"
       Enable or disable hardware rendering of the X cursor.
       Default: on.

   Option "NoAccel" "boolean"
       Enable or disable 2D hardware acceleration.
       Default: off.

   Option "PixmapCacheLines" "integer"
       Number of lines in the offscreen pixmap cache used by XAA.
       Default: VirtualY of screen.

VERIFYING INSTALL

    run "glxinfo".  output should contain the lines:

        OpenGL vendor string: Imagination Technologies
        OpenGL renderer string: PowerVR KYRO
        OpenGL version string: 1.2.1