[Newbie]Manually altering entries in /etc/termcap after upgrading from xfree86 3.3.5 to 4.1.0

Something that always puzzled me about installing xfree86, whether from
the Xinstall shell script or manually, is during the install I am told
to, a) manually edit the xterm entries in '/etc/termcap' and b) to
replace the xterm entries with those found in
'/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/etc/xterm.termcap'.  I have seen this message on all
my attempts to upgrade from a prior version of xfree86 since 3.3.2 to
even in the most recent 4.1.0, and I'm still uncertain of what it is I'm
actually supposed to do.

I know how to work with emacs, pico, and vi, so editing isn't a problem,
but these instructions are far less than exacting.  While this might be
quite clear to those who regularly tweak or program xfree86, this is not
the case with someone who's never done this before.  If you actually care
to open '/etc/termcap', you'll find it's quite a large file, with xterm
as a common listing should you search on it within either editor for
either file.  Also, the difference between '/etc/termcap' and
'/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/etc/xterm.termcap' seems more like I'm supposed to
simply concatenate /etc/termcap with the file contents of xterm.termcap
as I appear to only have a listing for something like 'xterm|r10' in
termcap.

Thanks for any help.

"Stride the storm or it will dance you."
Michael D. Beams

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.