[Newbie]4.2 over 3.3.6 - how?

I have FreeBSD 4.5 with XFree 3.3.6 (or whatever - the curent).
For the life of me, I cannot understand how to install XFree86 4.2.
make all install clean - generates errors. Obviously the old installation
has to be removed.
FBSD does not have any info about this - they only say to install XF 4.2
after installing the base system. OK, I'll do that on another system. But
the rest of the information both on the XFree site and the FBSD site is
totally incoherent: none of the directories correspond to what I have. So,
if there is a logical theory behind all this, what is it? Or, how can I
install V. 4.2?
I don't seem to have any problems with the current configuration either of
screen resolution, KDE or whatever. Maybe this is an exercise in futility,
but I am trying to move away from MS and would like the newer functionality
in 4.2. :-(
Any suggestions?
Phil Jourdan