[Newbie]What video card should I buy?

Hello, Michael

I have the AIW Pro 128.  First, let me say that I have more experience
with this card in Windows.  ATIs drivers and software don't seem to work
very well under Windows, especially the capture stuff.  Using other (3rd
party) software provides better results.  I have had considerable trouble
configuring XFree86-4.2.0 to properly recognize and utilize the card, but I
am a newbie to UNIX and XFree86.  Finally I have it working (X86-
4.2/FreeBSD 4.5release), but haven't come to the point where I'm ready
to try capture.

You say you're interested in a radeon card, though, which uses a different
driver than the 128 Pro.  I have never used the radeon series.  Please let
me know if you do buy one, and if so, how it works out for you.

Joshua Lokken

5/6/2002 12:17:27 PM, Michael Kahle <kahlemt@whoha.org> wrote:

>I am building a new system and I would like some advice on video
cards.
>What I am looking for is a card that will support hight resolutions and is
>stable.  I am looking to get the ATI Radeon 8500 128 or the ATI Radeon
8500
>LE 64.  What are your ideas on the All-in-Wonder products?  I think it
would
>be nice to get something that would allow video capture, but if it isn't
>well supported under Linux this would do me no good.
>
>ATI's website claims to support the open source community with
information
>to develop drivers.  Is this true?  To what extent?
>
>Thanks for your time.  As a sidenote price is not too much of a
problem... I
>would spend around $250 if I was getting something well supported.
Cheaper