[Newbie]System hangs sometimes when switching resolution with Trident Blade3D

On Tuesday 07 May 2002 01:22 am, Luciano Schirmer wrote:
> I use XFree86 in my Debian system with success, but eventually the
> system hangs when I switch the resolution using the C-M-+ / C-M--
> combinations, when I switch from text to X (and vice-versa) or, when I
> login from gdm to some X session (and vice-versa).
>
> I couldn't find any relation with anything (time of use, process or
> program executed, etc.). Sometimes it hangs in the initialization,
> before showing the gdm screen.
>
> When it hangs, I can't use Ctrl-Meta-Backspace to shutdown the X server.
> Nothing seems to work. It just freezes and I can see only a black
> screen. And whe I restart the system it has to check all the mounted
> filesystems. It's terrible.

There seems to be a degree of incomptiblitiy between newer versions of
XF86 and some older cards. I had an S3 Virge card that worked OK for
years. When I upgraded to 4.2 the card would hang for exactly one minute
before loading X. Various ingenious diagnoses were offered, many centering
around the DNS Server (!) But when I replaced the card with an Sis 305
and got the XF86Config file squared away for it then all my problems
disappeared.

So I don't know what the problem is but the solution is--use a different card.
Truly that ought not be the situation. But apparently it is.

John Culleton
--
Able Indexers and Typesetters
http://wexfordpress.com