[Newbie]System hangs sometimes when switching resolution with Trident Blade3D

I use XFree86 in my Debian system with success, but eventually the
system hangs when I switch the resolution using the C-M-+ / C-M-- combinations, when I switch from text to X (and vice-versa) or, when I login from gdm to some X session (and vice-versa).

I couldn't find any relation with anything (time of use, process or
program executed, etc.). Sometimes it hangs in the initialization,
before showing the gdm screen.

When it hangs, I can't use Ctrl-Meta-Backspace to shutdown the X server.
Nothing seems to work. It just freezes and I can see only a black
screen. And whe I restart the system it has to check all the mounted
filesystems. It's terrible.

More info about my system:

- I use a Jaton Video-107 PCI video card (Trident Blade3D chipset).
- The monitor is a Sony Multiscan 15sfII

- I used XFree86 3.3.6 and updated to 4.1, but the problem wasn't solved.

Here is a copy of my XF86Config file (at least the most important
sections, I think):

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	VendorName   "SNY"