[Newbie]toshiba portege 650 ct configuring XFree86 4.1.0-3 on Redhat 7.2

Does anyone have any experience with getting X working on laptops with Chips and Technologies chipsets, specifically the C&T HIQV32 CT65550?  Does anyone have a similar Toshiba laptop up and running X?  If so, what are the tricks, if any?  I am attempting to get X running on a Toshiba Portege 650 CT.  Xconfigurator allows me to run through and specify the proper chipset etc, I am setting it to use a custom monitor and then putting in the horizontal and vertical refresh rates for this LCD panel as specified in the Toshiba documentation, I choose 800 X 600 and 640 X 480 for each of the bit ranges for my modes and when it attempts to test, it tries to start the server, but doesn't seem to do anything and then comes back with an error window stating that There is a problem with your X configuration.  You may go back and modify your configuration or exit now.  I have tried only selecting modes in the 8 bit range with no luck.  I have also tried adding the UseModeline and FixPanelSize options to the server setting in the XF86Config file.  Doing so caused the X server to crash with a fatal error : no screens found after attempting to try a bunch of modes.  I have searched the list archives but have been unable to find any references to this specific laptop.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Rob