[Newbie]Monitor or driver problem?

Hi all,

I'm having trouble with X and my Radeon 7500.
I'm trying to install Mandrake 8.2 and initially
when I startx, my monitor will go blank. After
fumbling around with different options, I finally
managed to get X started with Radeon driver, yay..
but it only works sometimes. Most of the times when
I startx my monitor will go blank again. My monitor
is IBM P201 with specs:
Max pixel rate 230 MHz, vertical refresh rate 50-160Hz
horizontal scan rate 30-107KHz.

Right now vesa driver works like a charm for me, but
I'd like to have radeon driver works with dri :)

I'm trying to determine whether it's radeon driver
or monitor problem. With both radeon and vesa driver,
the XFree86.0.log doesn't reveal any error. Anyone
care to share their opinion?

Hesty