[Newbie]ATI Radeon and XFree 3.3.6

On Thu, 2 May 2002, Marco Valente wrote:

> I have a quite old Suse 6.4  distribution  (kernel 2.2.14, XFree86 Version
> 3.3.6) that I am now trying to install on a new laptop. Unfortunately, I
> encountered serious problems in configuring the X server, which I already
> did smoothlessly on different machines. From a quick tour in some mailing
> lists I understand that I am not alone with this problem, but the possible
> solutions I have found (e.g. Gato drivers) necessitate a newer version of
> the kernel and Xfree, which are difficult to obtain with a home connections
> and I would not need otherwise. Is there a possibility to have a basic X
> system running?

> The computer is a ASUS LK8470, includes a ATI ATI M6-P AGP 4X 3D VGA chip
> with 16MB Video SGRAM
> (read as Mobility Radeon LY under Windows), and a TFT 14.1 monitor, capable
> of a definition of 1024x768.

3.3.6 is too old to support the M6.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|  352 General Services Building   |  email:  tsi@ualberta.ca          |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |
XFree86 Core Team member.  ATI driver and X server internals.