[Newbie]DPMS not working with Trident Cyberblade/i7

Alan Hourihane wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 11:59:49 -0500, Watzlavick wrote:
> > I'm having trouble getting the LCD backlight to blank on my I-Opener.
> > I'm using XFree86-4.2.0-8 from the RH 7.3 distribution.  I had it
> > working with a previous version (4.0.1?) from RH 7.1 but now it doesn't
> > return from blanking.  I never did get DPMS to work so I was using the
> > bios APM to send it to doze mode.   In general, I don't understand the
> > relationship between DPMS and APM.  I've tried messing around with the
> > usual APM, XF86Config options for APM and DPMS but no luck.
> >
> > Did anything change between 4.0.1 and 4.2.0 with DPMS on the
> > Cyberblade/i7?
>
> I suspect in RH 7.1 you are running 3.3.6.
>
> Can you make sure you've got
>
>         Option "dpms"
>
> in your Monitor Section, not your Device Section.
>
> Alan.

I'm pretty sure that I was using the 4.x driver with RH 7.1 because when
I updated the XF86Config file, the only thing I had to change was to add the
"ServerLayout" section section.  I think the "trident" driver was the one I
was using.  But, I may be mistaken.  Just to clarify, I never did get DPMS
to work on the I-Opener previously either.  I was using the BIOS to send it
to doze which would switch off the backlight.  When I upgraded the Xserver
to 4.2.0, there appeared to be some sort of conflict between the BIOS
blanking the screen and the Xserver even when DPMS was disabled in the
XServer.  Last night, I tried 3.3.6 again and it works as expected - the
backlight turns off when it goes into doze from apm.

When trying out the 4.2.0 server, I did have the Option "dpms" set in the
monitor section.  I verified this by running xdpyinfo and xset -q and I saw
that DPMS was enabled and the extension was loaded.  You probably know this
better than me but it seems like there's some conflict between the BIOS apm
and DPMS.  I tried turning off apm both in the BIOS and in the kernel.  DPMS
does appear to blank the screen as expected but it doesn't turn off the
backlight.

I realize you (nor I) have the schematics for the I-Opener, but do you know
how apm interacts with DPMS?

Thanks for your help!
-Bob