[Newbie]GeForce2 MX and 4.2.0 Install

Tom Coxen wrote:

> Hi,
> Brand new to this!
>
> I've installed the Dummies Red Hat 7.0 distribution
> and found that the included Xfree86 version does not
> support the NVIDIA GeForce2 MX and therefore cannot
> startx.
>
> I have downloaded v4.2.0 via my windows partition to
> solve this but do not understand how to browse to a
> floppy or cd-rom to run the install from the command
> line on the linux partition.
>
> Any help or suggestions greatfully recieved

hi tom,

if i am not mistaken, you get a tarball that you untar
into a directory locale of your choice. there are directories
included, one, xc, is where you find the INSTALL.X.org.

read down the file and you will see both build and install instructions.

while 4.2.0 is integrated with my suse 8.0, i downloaded and built the
src just for fun. however, my first time around, i made the BAD mistake
of taking the install step. on suse, this is fatal.

hth, jackc...