OT wrong attitude? was Re: [Newbie]Can't get mouse to work in X

I'm sorry, but I do not see how my post conflicts with the common
sensibilities of the room. Getting the mouse to work in X involved
killing gpm, the mouse server. Information about the gpm server is in
the MOUSEHOWTO information. You type gpm -k. You can also learn this
from typing gpm --help. I have been a newbie in many areas and in each
case I have followed these general rules before posting messages:

a. I have read all my books and documentation on the issue
b. I have experimented a bit with different configurations
c. I have asked anybody I know who may have any experience on the
subject
d. I post the subject in a newsgroup or get into some expert chat room
and blurt out my question.

If you are not doing something similar to the above list you are going
to waste tons of time and energy. The nice fellow who gave me the
answer did not get into a lengthly explanation of what gpm was. Think
about that for a minute.

> I agree as well.  I am a newbie as well (not just to Xfree86 but also
with
> Linux in general). I suspect that my experience with these
> newslist/communities is similar to many other newbies and was
thinking of
> ways that it might be improved.
>
> Some sort of "Report" that newbies are required to fill out as they
submit and
> get their problems answered may be beneficial to the community as a
whole.  I
> understand that more advanced users would find this experience
tedious and
> restraining but speaking as a newbie, I think that it would prove to
be very
> helpful for me.  If I were forced to fill out fields of information,
I might
> resolve my question before I even have to put it to the list.  For
example,
> what version of XFree86 am I using? What operating system? Which
kernel? etc.
> Those type of questions could form the first part of the "Report".
Next,