[Newbie]ATI Radeon 7000 VE QY - Sony CPD400 display issue.

Hello,

I had the following configuration and everything worked fine:

AMD 1200 on MSI Master
Linux-2.4.x
XFree86 4.0.2 on SuSE 7.1
nVidia M64 with 32 MB Video RAM
Sony CPD400 at 1280x1024

When the nVidia card failed, I have replaced it with an ATI Radeon 7000
with 64 MB DDR RAM (lspci recognise it as ATI Technologies Inc Radeon VE
QY) with only the following configuration change.

XFree86 4.2 on RedHat 7.3
(as it doesn't work with XFree86 4.0.2 and I don't have needed bandwidth
to download XFree86 4.2.0 binaries from xfree86.org at the moment)

What a disaster! It works fabulous on 1024x768 but on 1280x1024 the
window borders and bold/large characters are shaking! (slowly, very
slowly), and quite frustrating if I need to use the computer for long
hours.

To be sure if it isn't a hardware problem I did the unthinkable, I have
installed W2K (shame on me) and confirmed that it is working fine on
1280x1024 and even on 1600x1200 at 85 Hz (with the ATI provided windows
drivers though).

<opinion>
I have considered the ATI brand as key Linux kernel developers/advocates
think ATI Radeon is friendlier to open source developers than evil
nVidia. I wish Radeon cards work the best with XFree86.
</opinion>

Choosing AGP Support and Direct Rendering Support on
Linux-2.4.19-pre9aa2 didn't help (neither did I have these settings for
nVidia card nor do I really need them for XFree86/KDE/XFCE desktop
usage, do I??)

Thanks for your time, please let me know if you need any information, or
you want me to try something. I can provide the XFree86 log file on
request.

Hari,
harisri@telstra.com