[Newbie]S3 Savage4 driver support

I am a completely newbie in Linux and I just intalled Debian.

Somehow I did not manage to install X-Window and I found out that my Savage4 video card was not supported by the version I had.

I found on the XFree86 website a list of the current status of video DRIVERS and the Savage4 card was supportted!!! Big time!

I downloaded the 4.2.0 but during the installation I could not find the driver "savage" (for the S3 Savage4 video card) in the database list.

This morning I found another page on this site called "Video Card and X server list" and my video card is not listed there.

What is the difference between the driver and the X Server? Why the S3 Savage4 is supported by the driver and not by any server?

I tried to install it with the standard vga card and I am on the process of configuring it. I am getting there. So far I have only the bottom half of the screen of my monitor working :) and I am wondering if someone know how to get rid of this problem? For some unknown reason the configuration is being read by a file called XFree86Config-4 and not the XFree86Config which I thoght to be the right one!?

Thanks,

Carlos

Message sent by MyMail http://www.mymail.com.au/