[Newbie]Problem

If you have RH 7.2 why don't you install it. The whole installation is straight forward (I am
afraid there won't be much to learn unless you have the "luck" to have an unsupported card)
I assume you logged-off and logged back in and found the same problem? I also assume you don't
have an interactive loggin since X would actually already be running when you type startx...
Also you can run X on different consoles but must give it a chance by specifying startx -- :1
Lionel