[Newbie]framebuffer driver

Hello,

I am using Mandrake Linux and using the framebuffer driver (fbdev) for X. I
read
that it is possible to change video modes by using the fbset utility. I
downloaded fbset-2.1.tar.gz  from http://home.tvd.be/cr26864/Linux/fbdev/
and
extracted it. According to the INSTALL file, I executed "make install" as
root
from within the new directory. I encountered the following errors:

	bison -d modes.y
	make: bison: Command not found
	make: *** [modes.tab.c] Error 127

I'm a new Linux user and do not understand these errors. This is my first
attempt at installing _anything_ on my new linux system, I'm hoping to get a
friendlier resolution than 800x600. If anyone can shed some light on this
for
me I would be most appreciative.

Also, I could not find any information on actually using the utility to
change
modes once it has been installed. If you are familiar with the utility,
please give me an idea as to its use, or point me in the right direction
for documentation.

On another note... my video card manufacturer has a driver for my card
under Mandrake, would that be more or less difficult than using the
framebuffer
driver? The driver is located at http://www.powervr.com/downloads.asp

Thanks very much in advance.
-Adam