[Newbie]X on one of two monitors

I'm interested in setting up a computer with X on one monitor and just a
console on the other and only one keyboard/mouse.    How well does this
work?  Can I switch the keyboard/mouse focus from one monitor to the other?

It seems that it might be as simple as just putting the BusID of the
non-console video card in the Device section of the XF86Config-4.

I'm going to just go ahead and try this and see what happens pretty soon
anyway, but I'm mostly stuck on the keyboard/mouse question.