[Newbie]Re: Re: [Xpert]AGP failes to initialaize

In a message dated Fri, 26 Apr 2002  8:46:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Michel Dänzer <michel@daenzer.net> writes:

>On Wed, 2002-04-24 at 08:09, MarkLapier@aol.com wrote:
>>
>> I'm having a problem with AGP initialaizing.  I did modprobe -r
>> agpgart, depmod -a, and modprobe agpgart to reload the module.  That didn't fix the problem.
>
>The agpgart module needs to be loaded before the r128 kernel module or
>the latter can't use it.
>
>It's a good idea to build agpgart into the kernel in general as loading
>the module can fail due to memory fragmentation.

Thank you Michel.  If the module failed to load wouldn't that be reported by modprobe -v ?

[root@tire /root]# modprobe -rv agpgart
# delete agpgart
[root@tire /root]# depmod -a
[root@tire /root]# modprobe -v agpgart
/sbin/insmod /lib/modules/2.4.9-31/kernel/drivers/char/agp/agpgart.o
Using /lib/modules/2.4.9-31/kernel/drivers/char/agp/agpgart.o
Symbol version prefix ''
[root@tire /root]#

I don't see where there is any problem reported with the module load.  That might be because I don't know what to look for.  Do you see a problem with what is reported here?

Aside from that, rebuilding the Win4Lin enabled kernel would require downloding and installing the kernel patches from Netravers.  I would rather not do that if there is nothing wrong with the existing kernel module.

Mark LaPierre