[Newbie]Dell Inspiron 8200, Geforce 2 Go, FreeBSD, and Mindless Evil.

Okay, so I went ahead and fixed the problem myself.  Long story short, X
seems to work with FreeBSD 5.0 DP1 and Xfree86 4.2.0 -current (after I fixed
the typos in the source that caused it not to compile).  Now I have a new
issue, two, actually.  1. When I run Xfree86, I get the nice little
hatched-background and my pointer moves gleefully.  No more.  No desktop, no
nothing.  I'm guessing I need to install KDE or something, though I thought
I had.  Can anyone confirm/deny my suspicion there?  Second, the nice little
hatched area is about one quarter the size of my screen, and centered.  I
took a config file generated with the -configure switch and added the
following lines, but still the display was the same size.

    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "1400x1050" "1280x1024" "1024x768"
    EndSubsection
Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes       "1400x1050" "1280x1024" "1024x768"
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       8
        Modes       "1400x1050" "1280x1024" "1024x768"
    EndSubsection

Without the Depth 8 section in there, something complained about there being
no 8bpp configuration.  I'd love to pull up the error for you, but the
battery in my laptop just died.  What am I doing wrong this time?  I'm going
to guess these problems are simpler to solve than my last one, so I'm hoping
for a good turnout of advice

Thanks in advance,

Fish