[Newbie]MSI KT266 Pro2 + powered by ATI Radeon 7500 + XFree 4.2 => X shutdown = PC Crash (bip bip)

Salut Hubert

> I don't think this is going to help you much but anyhow,
> I have an AGP Powercolor 32MB DDR Dark Wizard (ATI Radeon 7000) with
> Suse 7.3 using Xfree86 4.2. When I enable DRI and try glxgears it would
> always crash my system. X works fine. In my case, I seemed to have a
> problem with my motherboard (some DMA issue with my Harddrive I think).
> What I did to fix it (extreme I know...) was to switch motherboards with
> my other machine (from a SOYO to an Asus P5A-B). I wouldn't expect yours
> to be the same problem.

Is your problem totally solved by changing the mother board ?
What scares me is that I have dual boot and my PC works fine under Winblows
98SE !
For me linux is less stable than win98SE !! ;-)

> Your config file looks fine (assuming you do have a Vision Master 400
> (Iiyama), and that your mode lines are correct.
that's ok !

> Does X crash or does it crash only when you run something that is 3D
> accelerated? (e.g. glxgears, tuxracer etc.)
3D acceleration work slike a charm, X works like a charm my only problem is
that I can't leave X without a PC crash.

> Does X crash if you have dri and glx disabled? If it does then probably
> something to do with your general X config.
it works also with 3D accel disabled.

> I hope find a solution that is less drastic as mine (I had a feeling
> something was wrong with my motherboard for a while since it gave me
> alot of headache with other stuff).
I hope too.
I'll try to play with DMA settings but I hope this problem won't cost me any
piece of hardware.

thanks

Yann