[Newbie]XFree86 4.2.0 under Cygwin on Win98 w/ i810 won't display CDE from HPUX

I've got a Dell PC running Win98 on which I've installed Cygwin from
http://cygwin.com followed by XFree86 from http://cygwin.com/mirrors
(specifically, archive.progeny.com, and for X I grabbed the binaries
from /cygwin/xfree/binaries/4.2.0).  I only brought down the binaries,
as I *really* didn't want to compile a Linux "kernel" to sit on top of
Win98 (no, I can't just take the PCs to Linux, they have to stay on some
flavor of Windoze) nor any of the X pieces, since someone else had
already "invented the wheel".

Unfortunately, the PC has an i810, so XWin is giving me fits.  It works
fine if I just invoke it from the Bash shell using

XWin -screen 0 1024 768

I get a standard X desktop, can telnet to my "main" Unix system (a 9000
running HP-UX 11.11), and throw clients back to the server running on
the PC.

However, if I invoke XWin using

XWin -query aa.bb.cc.dd -fp tcp/aa.bb.cc.dd:7000

to try to get HP-UX to throw a CDE login screen back at me via xdm,
XWin runs, it changes to a grey stippled screen, and there I sit.  No
login screen from the HP, no nothing.  Just a big ol' hang that will
eventually time out.

On another Dell PC, with the only difference being that it has an
82810-DC100 Graphics controller, XWin runs and lets the HP show its
CDE login screen just fine.

I've searched the archives, and see a lot of references to getting a
copy of agpgart.o and compiling it into your kernel to get an i810 to
play nicely.  Well, (a) I really don't want to have to compile Cygwin
for Win98 if someone else already has, (b) I have no idea where to
get a cop agpgart.o which would work in that instance, anyway, and
(c) since the HP can communicate to XFree86 just fine in "normal"
mode, I can't believe this is because of a driver issue.

Can anyone give me any pointers on what I should do to get XFree86
on an i810 chipset to give me an xdm-based login from another system?
And/or tell me what further information I should have included in my
message that y'all expect?

Thanks,

Mike Reaser
Atlanta, GA