[Newbie]Radeon 7000 + Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual

Thanks for all the help so far!
I finally got around with messing around with my Linux box and now this
is the current situation.
Downloaded and installed the rpm's for suse's modified xfree86 4.2.x
(i.e. rpm blah blah blah and ldconfig)
Did not download the new dri drivers or sax2.
(running suse 7.3)

Now, it seems that tuxracer did run but when running glxgears it starts
(gears moving quite fast finally) but before it dumps the first results,
my X crashes. Or rather, X freezes but I still can move around the mouse.
Unfortunately I can't Ctrl-Alt-Backspace or even Ctrl-Alt-Del. Other
than the ability to move the mouse, everything else seems to have frooze.

Is there any concerns that although my vid card is a Radeon 7000, it
is by a company called powercolor with model: Dark Wizard and not an
ATI retail model.
Any ideas?
thanks in advance,
Hubert