[Newbie]Problems shutting down Mandrake 8.2!

Firts;
This is not the rigtht forum for general Linux questions.

second;
I cant imagine that this would have something to do with samba and apache.

Particullary this would happen if you have mounted a filesystem via NFS and the NFS-server i dead when you are about to unmount it... Do you have any NFS-mounts? Did you install MD from an NFS-server? If so, MD creates an NFS-mount, /mnt/nfs. Check your /etc/fstab and with the mount comman before you try to thutdown

If this is not the case, the problem may be caused by some error in lockd..
Look for error reports at Mandrakes homepage.

third;
Use the ext3-filesystem instead of ext2. Ext3 i a journalizing filesystem and do not have the need for a filsystemcheck after a system-crash. OK, that does not solve your problem, but at least it will boot faster....