[Newbie]Why would X fail (X post)

In a message dated Sun, 31 Mar 2002  9:10:36 PM Eastern Standard Time, Edwin Charles Holley II <vze3bbrq@verizon.net> writes:

Your just full of questions tonight.

> I get an error when I try to init X stating that the
> mouse failed to start, I presume this is due to
> improper config.  I have a USB mouse, do I need to
> change one of the settings.

Yes, you do need to change the settings.  First some information might be nice, like what flavor of Linux are we looking at here?  Does the mouse work in the text mode window?

The best way to change settings is to let X do it for you.  As root, type X -configure, and just stand back in awe.  X will barf an error about the Glide library, but not to worry, the configuration file it builds will almost alway work anyway.  When it's done it will tell you where it wrote the new config file.  Copy it to /etc/X11/XF86config-4 and then try to start up X.

> How can I tell what version of XFree I am running?

After you've done what I said above, you can look in /var/log/XFree86.0.log.  It will tell you what config file it used to start up with and lots of things you never wanted to know and had more sense than to ask.  The first line should read:

XFree86 Version 4.2.0 / X Window System

or something close to it.

>  How do I change resolution/refresh etc?

Once you get the X window system running you can toggle between all the resolutions and refresh rates that your server found for you.  You do that by using CTRL-ALT-+ to advance to each new display.

Work with this, then write again if you still need more help.

Mark LaPierre