Re: Dropped packets mapping IRQs for adjusted queue counts on i40e

On Thu, May 06, 2021 at 12:29:40PM +0200, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
> Maciej Fijalkowski <maciej.fijalkowski@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > Hey Zvi, sorry for the lack of assistance, there has been statutory free
> > time in Poland and today i'm in the birthday mode, but we managed to
> > discuss the issue with Magnus and we feel like we could have a solution
> > for that, more below.
> >

> >> It seems like for Intel drivers, igc, ixgbe, i40e, ice all have
> >> this problem.
> >>
> >> Notably, igb, fixes it like I would expect.
> >
> > igb is correct but I think that we would like to avoid the introduction of
> > locking for higher speed NICs in XDP data path.
> >
> > We talked with Magnus that for i40e and ice that have lots of HW
> > resources, we could always create the xdp_rings array of num_online_cpus()
> > size and use smp_processor_id() for accesses, regardless of the user's
> > changes to queue count.
>
> What is "lots"? Systems with hundreds of CPUs exist (and I seem to
> recall an issue with just such a system on Intel hardware(?)). Also,
> what if num_online_cpus() changes?

"Lots" is 16k for ice. For i40e datasheet tells that it's only 1536 for
whole device, so I back off from the statement that i40e has a lot of
resources :)

Also, s/num_online_cpus()/num_possible_cpus().

> > This way the smp_processor_id() provides the serialization by itself as
> > we're under napi on a given cpu, so there's no need for locking
> > introduction - there is a per-cpu XDP ring provided. If we would stick to
> > the approach where you adjust the size of xdp_rings down to the shrinked
> > Rx queue count and use a smp_processor_id() % vsi->num_queue_pairs formula
> > then we could have a resource contention. Say that you did on a 16 core
> > system:
> > $ ethtool -L eth0 combined 2
> >
> > and then mapped the q0 to cpu1 and q1 to cpu 11. Both queues will grab the
> > xdp_rings[1], so we would have to introduce the locking.
> >
> > Proposed approach would just result with more Tx queues packed onto Tx
> > ring container of queue vector.
> >
> > Thoughts? Any concerns? Should we have a 'fallback' mode if we would be
> > out of queues?
>
> Yes, please :)

How to have a fallback (in drivers that need it) in a way that wouldn't
hurt the scenario where queue per cpu requirement is satisfied?