Re: Fighting BPF verifier to reach end-of-packet with XDP

On Fri, 1 May 2020 17:41:32 +0200
Jesper Dangaard Brouer <brouer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> One use-case for tail grow patchset, is to add a kernel timestamp at
> XDP time in the extended tailroom of packet and return XDP_PASS to let
> packet travel were it needs to go, and then via tcpdump we can extract
> this timestamp. (E.g. this could improve on Ilias TSN measurements[2]).
>
> I have implemented it here[3]. It works, but it is really a hassle to
> convince the BPF verifier, that my program was safe.  I use the
> IP-headers total length to find the end-of-packet.

I moved the code example here experiment01-tailgrow[4]:
 [4] https://github.com/xdp-project/xdp-tutorial/blob/master/experiment01-tailgrow/xdp_prog_kern.c

People can follow the changes via PR# [123].
 [123] https://github.com/xdp-project/xdp-tutorial/pull/123

> Is there an easier BPF way to move a data pointer to data_end?

I've also added some "fail" examples[5]:
 [5] https://github.com/xdp-project/xdp-tutorial/tree/master/experiment01-tailgrow

That I will appreciate someone to review my explaining comments, on why
verifier chooses to fail these programs... as they might be wrong.

> Any suggestion on how I could extend the kernel (or verifier) to
> provide easier access to the tailroom I grow?

Is it possible to use the cls_bpf older style load_byte() helpers?

--
Best regards,
  Jesper Dangaard Brouer