Re: Shared Umem and reducing ksoftirqd-Load

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 11:45 AM Gaul, Maximilian
<maximilian.gaul@xxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 11:24 AM Karlsson, Magnus
> <magnus.karlsson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 11:02 AM Gaul, Maximilian
> > <maximilian.gaul@xxxxxx> wrote:

> > > These are the flags I set right before calling `xsk_socket__create`:
> > >
> > >         xsk_socket_cfg.xdp_flags = cfg->xdp_flags | XDP_FLAGS_DRV_MODE | XDP_ZEROCOPY;
> > >         xsk_socket_cfg.bind_flags = cfg->xsk_bind_flags | XDP_USE_NEED_WAKEUP;
> >
> > XDP_ZEROCOPY is a bind flag not an XDP flag, so please move it there.
> > If you get an error when you have it set, it means that your setup
> > does not support zero-copy for some reason. Check what kernel version
> > you are using and the the driver you are using supports zero-copy. I
> > believe you need to use a queue id>=32 in the Mellanox driver for it
> > to work in zero-copy mode. Below 32, you will get copy mode.
> >
> > > Packet size is around 1492 bytes.
> >
> > Seems that you are using SKB mode then, not zero-copy.
> >
> > /Magnus
> >

> Thank you for the hint. As you correctly said, I get an error if I use *XDP_ZEROCOPY*. But as far as I understand, packet rates should be higher in Driver-Mode even without zero-copy?

Yes, I would expect that too.

> I just updated to the latest driver- and firmware version:
>
>         $ sudo ethtool -i <if>
>         driver: mlx5_core
>         version: 5.0-0
>         firmware-version: 16.27.1016 (MT_0000000012)

What kernel version are you using? And you should use the driver from
that same kernel.

> I actually have to correct myself: Incomming packets are 1442 bytes.
> Can you give me the link between packet size and whether the NIC is running in SKB or DRV mode?

Sorry, do not understand this. Could you please elaborate?

> Mr. Brouer held a talk about (https://people.netfilter.org/hawk/presentations/driving-IT2017/driving-IT-2017_XDP_eBPF_technology_Jesper_Brouer.pdf) about XDP, mentioning in slide 11/27 that *mlx5 (v4.9)* has native XDP support.

Yes, but only if you use queue id>= 32. What queue id are you binding to?

/Magnus