Re: Measuring/Debugging XDP Performance

On Tue, 28 Jan 2020 12:42:21 -0600
Christian Deacon <gamemann@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> With that said, it appears my other POP servers that are using the
> "virtio_net" NIC driver are using XDP generic according to the 'perf'
> results as well (they're similar to the above). They're also on
> kernel 4.18.

First of all 'virtio_net' is tricky to get working with 'native-XDP',
because you need to disable a number of offloads.  This have gotten a
bit easier on newer kernels.

That said, it is important to understand that getting raw "fast" frames
into your "virtio_net" virtual netcard is a two-stage "rocket".   The
owner of the hardware box also need a native-XDP netcard that runs XDP
which XDP-redirect frames into your virtual NIC, else there is not
performance advantage.

--
Best regards,
  Jesper Dangaard Brouer