Re: error loading xdp program on virtio nic

On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 08:43:50 -0700
David Ahern <dsahern@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 11/21/19 11:09 PM, Jason Wang wrote:
> >> Doubling the number of queues for each tap device adds overhead to the
> >> hypervisor if you only want to allow XDP_DROP or XDP_DIRECT. Am I
> >> understanding that correctly?
> >

> > Yes, but there's almost impossible to know whether or not XDP_TX will be
> > used by the program. If we don't use per CPU TX queue, it must be
> > serialized through locks, not sure it's worth try that (not by default,
> > of course).
> >

> This restriction is going to prevent use of XDP in VMs in general cloud
> hosting environments. 2x vhost threads for vcpus is a non-starter.
>
> If one XDP feature has high resource needs, then we need to subdivide
> the capabilities to let some work and others fail. For example, a flag
> can be added to xdp_buff / xdp_md that indicates supported XDP features.
> If there are insufficient resources for XDP_TX, do not show support for
> it. If a program returns XDP_TX anyways, packets will be dropped.

This sounds like concrete use-case and solid argument why we need XDP
feature detection and checks. (Last part of LPC talk[1] were about
XDP features).

An interesting perspective you bring up, is that XDP features are not
static per device driver.  It actually needs to be dynamic, as your
XDP_TX feature request depend on the queue resources available.

Implementation wise, I would not add flags to xdp_buff / xdp_md.
Instead I propose in[1] slide 46, that the verifier should detect the
XDP features used by a BPF-prog.  If you XDP prog doesn't use e.g.
XDP_TX, then you should be allowed to run it on a virtio_net device
with less queue configured, right?

[1] http://people.netfilter.org/hawk/presentations/LinuxPlumbers2019/xdp-distro-view.pdf
--
Best regards,