Re: error loading xdp program on virtio nic

On 11/20/19 8:26 PM, Jason Wang wrote:

> On 2019/11/21 上午1:52, David Ahern wrote:
>> Hi:
>>
>> Trying to load an XDP program on a virtio based nic is failing with:
>>
>> virtio_net: XDP expects header/data in single page, any_header_sg
>> required
>>
>> I have not encountered this error before and not able to find what is
>> missing. Any tips?
>

> Hi David:
>
> What qemu + guest kernel version did you use? And could you share you
> qemu cli?
>
> Old qemu requires vnet header to be placed into a separate sg which
> breaks the assumption of XDP. Recent qemu doesn't have such limitation
> (any_header_sg feature).

Hi Jason,

When I run qemu via my older vm-tools scripts XDP works fine. This is
the first time I am trying to use XDP with guests started by libvirt.

We isolated it to a libvirt xml file using an old machine type
(pc-i440fx-1.5) - basically any machine with VIRTIO_F_VERSION_1 not set.
Using a newer one move the problem forward.

The current error message is:
  virtio_net: Too few free TX rings available
again, looking for some libvirt setting for the vm create.