RE: AF_XDP integration with FDio VPP? (Was: Questions about XDP)

Hi

> On Fri, Aug 30, 2019 at 9:37 AM Július Milan <Julius.Milan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all
>>
>> Regarding 4K frame size constraint of AF_XDP, what does AF_XDP when receives frame bigger than 4K? Drops it or cut it or split it between more frames?
>> Thinking about what to do with them on TX side.
>>
>> If you are interested in mentioned AF_XDP driver for vpp, here you can
>> find it: https://gerrit.fd.io/r/c/vpp/+/21606
>
> Hi Július,
>
> I took a look at the patch, I can passed compile but I haven't run it.
> In the src/plugins/af_xdp/device.c and src/plugins/af_xdp/xsk_defs.h, since you already link libbpf, you can remove a lot of existing code by using AF_XDP APIs in libbpf (see xsk_ring_*, xsk_umem_*)
>
> If you want to load your custom XDP program, you can enable XSK_LIBBPF_FLAGS__INHIBIT_PROG_LOAD and load XDP program

Thank you William, I updated it, but its still work in progress, I inspired by OVS implementation as well.

> Regards,
> William

I have next 2 questions:

1] When I use xsk_ring_prod__reserve and successive xsk_ring_prod__submit. Is it correct to submit also less than I reserved?
    In some cases I can't exactly determine how much to reserve in advance, since vpp buffers have different size than xdp frames.

2] Can I use hugepage backed memory for umem? If not, is it planned for future?
    Yet it does copy pakets from rx rings to vpp buffers, but speculating about straight zerocopy way.

Many thanks
Július