Re: Intel 800 series 100Gbe NIC with XDP

On Tue, 2019-07-30 at 12:13 +0200, Jesper Dangaard Brouer wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 16:27:01 -0700
> Zvi Effron <zeffron@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone knew if the upcoming 800 series Intel
> > NICs
> > with 100gbe support XDP? I don't yet see a new driver for them, but
> > they may be reusing the i40e driver, or I may have missed it? If
> > they
> > do support it, do they maybe also support hardware mode (as opposed
> > driver mode)?
>
> Good to see that Intel customers are requesting XDP support, for new
> HW
> and associated drivers.
>
> AFAIK Linux kernel driver is called ICE for Intel 800 series NIC[1]
> (which supports 100/50/25/10 Gbit/s Ethernet).  (p.s. I don't have
> this
> hardware in my testlab).
>
> It is located in the kernel tree[2]: drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ice/.
> Reading and grepping the code for 'xdp', reveals that this driver
> doesn't support XDP.  So, I guess you need to buy your 100G hardware
> from another vendor, or convince Intel to add XDP support.

We had pushed patches that add XDP and AF_XDP support for ice to Jeff
Kirsher's next-queue tree (links below), but it appears that some
rework is required before we can push it to net-next. This is being
worked on right now.

https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/1123016/
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/1123017/

Please note that the above patches are for reference only. Final
patches will be posted when available.

Best,
Ani