New to xdp Cant find initial syn packet?

Hey,
I started trying out xdp programs recently and I was comparing what
comes out of tcp dump and my test program. It seems like the first syn
in the packet never appears in my logged out put, the rest of the
packets do.

I am using a vm and using the loopback interface and a virtual one
created by docker, both will only start from the second outgoing
packet.

Tcpdump shows syn -> syn,ack -> ack. But the xdp program only starts
from syn,ack then ack. Im logging using bpf_trace_printk and put the
statement at the beginning of the section being loaded so something
should at least print every time?

Is there something Im over looking?

Thanks and let me know if I can clarify anything.
Matt