Unable to install a test XDP program on virtio_net device

I am on a 4.18.13 kernel. Debian Stretch. The XDP samples and
selftests compiled fine.

When I tried to install my XDP prog like so:

$ sudo /sbin/ip link set eth0 xdpdrv obj helloworld_xdp.o sec prog
XDP expects header/data in single page, any_header_sg required
...snipped...

This is the if condition that caused it to fail.
https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v4.18.13/source/drivers/net/virtio_net.c#L2265

Is this fixable? i.e. some configuration on the virtio_net part ? Thanks