Re: AF_XDP umem and jumbo frames?

On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 3:52 AM Jesper Dangaard Brouer <brouer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Can Alex or Rob explain:
>
> (1) What is your use-case for wanting jumbo-frames?
>
> And (2) will an MTU of ~3000Bytes be sufficient? (which XDP does support)

Not Alex or Rob, but lack of jumbo frames is currently a blocker for using XDP.

I'm working on https://github.com/JustinAzoff/libflowbypass which is similar to
the bypass stuff suricata can do, but implemented as a standalone library.

We have a number of high performance networks that use jumbo frames and the XDP
NICs sit on fiber taps.  So it's not so much that I want to use jumbo frames
but that some of the traffic I need to analyze is using them.  For
this same reason 3000
bytes isn't enough since I see 9000 byte frames.

If XDP could implicitly XDP_PASS jumbo frames instead of truncating them at
3000 that would at least allow the use of XDP to inspect and drop the
majority of  < 3000
byte frames.

--
- Justin