Re: Planned changes for bugzilla.kernel.org to reduce the "Bugzilla blues"

Hi,

> On Sep 30, 2022, at 5:03 AM, Artem S. Tashkinov <aros@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 9/30/22 08:47, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> On 29.09.22 15:04, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
	[trimmed]
>> Sometimes there are days where I think "let's go down the 'do everything
>> by mail' rabbit hole some more and couple a pastebin and a somewhat
>> improved regzbot with an app (usable both locally and on the web) that
>> helps users preparing a report they can then send with their usual
>> mailer". And then there are days "ohh, no, that might be a totally
>> stupid thing to do". :-/
>
> Emails are absolutely horrible in terms of keeping track of the state of
> the issue. Who has replied? Who has provided the necessary data? Where
> can this data be found? What if a person has forgotten to "Reply All"
> and instead clicked "Reply"? Hell, no. Then people get swamped with
> their own emails, the previous email from this discussion went straight
> to SPAM for my email provider. It's too easy to lose track of everything.

Email deliverability and spam filters are certainly something to consider. (Thanks email providers.)

> The kernel bugzilla has helped resolve critical issues and add
> impressive features with dozens of people collaborating. This is nearly
> impossible to carry out using email except for dedicated developers
> working on something.

Exactly.

>> we really need to figure out the entire
>> process and pinpoint who is going to be the one in charge of bug reports. If
>> you think that LF should establish a fund for a position like that, then you
>> should probably approach LF fellows (Greg KH, Shuah Khan), who can then talk
>> to LF management. The IT team will be happy to support you with the tooling,
>> but tooling should come second to that -- otherwise we'll just be replacing an
>> old and rusty dumpster on fire with a new and shiny dumpster on fire.
>
> Bugzilla with all its issues is still super convenient.

+1, I don’t think the solution longterm is to _not_ have a system like Bugzilla for this reason. Emails can certainly be sent from the system but it should continue existing.

-srw