Re: Planned changes for bugzilla.kernel.org to reduce the "Bugzilla blues"

On 9/29/22 12:52, Greg KH wrote:
On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 12:22:35PM +0000, Artem S. Tashkinov wrote:
Let me be brutally honest here, if you're working on the kernel,
specially for a large company such as e.g. Intel, you're _expected_ to
address the issues which are related to the kernel component[s] you're
maintaining/developing otherwise it's not "development" it's "I'm
dumping my code because my employer pays me to do that". That also means
you're expected to address bug reports.

I wish that were the case, unfortunately it is quite rare that
maintainers of subsystems of the kernel are allowed to work on upstream
issues like this all the time.  Heck, part of the time would be
wonderful too, but that is also quite rare.  So while maintainers would
love to be able to work like this, getting their management to agree to
this is not very common, sadly.

Understood but it's illogical and I cannot/will not accept it. For
instance, here's a very common scenario: you work for company X. The
company tells you to fix a bug/add a new feature/etc. You write the
code, submit it and it results in a regression for other use cases. Are
you saying it's alright and shouldn't be addressed? That's _exactly_ how
many if not _most_ regressions in the kernel are introduced.

AFAIK, the kernel bugzilla is a Linux Foundation project and the
organization receives funding from its very rich members including
Google, Meta, Intel, and even Microsoft. The fact that no one is
seriously working on it looks shameful and sad. We are not talking about
a minor odd library with a dozen users we are talking about the kernel.

bugzilla.kernel.org is _hosted_ by the LF, and does a great job of
keeping it running and alive.  The LF has nothing to do with the content
of the bugs in it, the reporting, the response of people to reported
bugs, assigning bugs to anyone, getting them fixed, or anything else
related to the content in the database at all.  Please don't get
confused with the resources provided to host the system vs. the people
who actually do the kernel development itself.

Note, the LF does sponsor a few kernel developers to do work on the
kernel, including myself, but we are a tiny drop in the bucket compared
to the 4000+ developers who contribute to the kernel every year.

> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

Keeping the website up and running requires next to zero human
time/resources, that's not proper maintenance. The
components/subsystems/developers haven't been updated in over a decade
which results in a bug tracker which is nearly useless. People often
file bug reports under "Other/Other" and no one is notified of anything.
I don't even want to touch on the fact that the  Bugzilla version the
website is running is terribly outdated.

That's the issue I thought we're trying to resolve - making bugzilla
useful. Under no circumstances I want to engage kernel developers or
blame them for anything. I'm grateful you exist and do your work :-)

Best regards,
Artem