Re: RFC: building a regression tracking bot for Linux kernel development

+kernelci +automated-testing

Hi Thorsten,

On 22/04/2021 08:16, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Lo! As mentioned a few times recently I'm staring to build a bot for
> semi-automatic Linux kernel regressions tracking. Find below a rough
> description of how I imagine it's going to work. That way I want to give
> everyone a chance to influence things before I'm starting to code for
> real. Early feedback will help to build something that's acceptable for
> the Linux kernel developer community and used in practice in the long
> run, and that's what I aim for.
>
> I know, I know, "Talk is cheap. Show me the code.". But I had to think
> things through and write some of it down anyway, so no harm done in
> posting it as RFC. I CCed ksummit, as many maintainers hang out there
> and because this is a follow up to my former regression tracking work we
> discussed on both kernel and maintainers summit 2017; it fact it
> hopefully might be something for this year as well, we'll see, too early
> to tell.

This sounds great, with a simple email-based interface and a well
defined scope for the bot's role.

There are a few things that are worth mentioning from a KernelCI
point of view though, to ensure both tools work together and not
against each other (see https://kernelci.org).

The first thing is that KernelCI detects and tracks a fair amount
of regressions all the time, then runs automated bisections to
find the breaking commits.  This currently leads to between 1 and
10 unique "bug reports" per week.  So including "regzbot" in
those reports would initially seem simple and very effective.

Then another aspect to take into account is the proliferation of
tools.  KernelCI's mission is not only to run tests but also to
gather results from other test systems into a common database
called KCIDB.  The main goal is to provide a full picture of all
the issues in one place, with unified email reports and a web
dashboard.

Tracking regressions is on the roadmap for KCIDB, although it's
not yet entirely decided how it will actually work.  Ideally it
would simply let systems submit their own regression data to
KCIDB, which sounds very similar to what regzbot would be doing.

I can think of several ways to orchestrate these things together.
In a nutshell, this is what I believe to be the best way around:

* automated test systems submit regressions to KCIDB, just like
  some of them already do with build and test data (syzbot, Red
  Hat's CKI, linux.kernelci.org, tuxsuite...)

* regzbot provides a way for reporting regressions by hand via
  email, and forwards them automatically to KCIDB too

Essentially, regzbot would remain autonomous but also act as an
email-based interface to submit data to KCIDB.  This gives you a
web dashboard and a common place to gather all regressions "for
free" among other things on kcidb.kernelci.org (still early
days).  You may also generate some regzbot dedicated web pages
elsewhere if needed in practice, both could co-exist.

How does that sound?

Another hypothetical scenario would be if regzbot was the
unifying tool, and all automated test systems sent their
regression data to it.  But then, KCIDB would become either
redundant or starved of the regression data it needs to
complement its test results.  So this doesn't seem so good.

I know it's important to have tools that work "by hand" for
developers, but automated testing leads to a better life!

Best wishes,
Guillaume