Re: [Ksummit-discuss] RFC: create mailing list "linux-issues" focussed on issues/bugs and regressions

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 at 04:58, Thorsten Leemhuis <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >  If we can
> > actually get users to *read* it, I think it's going to save kernel
> > developers a huge amount of time and frustration.
>
> And users hopefully as well. But yes, making them read it is the
> problem. :-/

I've added a very visible admonition on the front of
bugzilla.kernel.org. Hopefully, it will help direct some users to
their distro bug trackers first.

> > I wonder if it might be useful to have a form which users could be
> > encouraged to fill out so that (a) the information is available in a
> > structured format so it's easier for developers to find the relevant
> > information, (b) so it is easier for programs to parse, for easier
> > reporting or indexing, and (c) as a nudge so that users remember to
> > report critical bits of information such as the hardware
> > configuration, the exact kernel version, which distribution userspace
> > was in use, etc.
> >
> > There could also be something in the text form which would make it
> > easier for lore.kernel.org searches to identify bug reports.  (e.g.,
> > "LINUX KERNEL BUG REPORTER TEMPLATE")
>
> Hmmm, yeah, I like that idea. I'll keep it in mind for later: I would
> prefer to get reporting-issues.rst officially blessed and
> reporting-bugs.rst gone before working on further enhancements.

To my knowledge, git project uses a tool for that:
https://git-scm.com/docs/git-bugreport

Theoretically, a similar tool could exist for the kernel.

-K