Re: WiF Transmit Power Control (TPC) Regulatory Requirements?

Ideally, TPC should be a fully automatic mechanism that reduces
transmit power between the two points to as low of a level as possible
while delivering the same quality of service. The purpose is to reduce
the excess headroom in each link. I.e., if you could still link with
65Mb/s towards a given direction using 14dBmW, you should not transmit
with 20dBmW.

Some only set the AP TX power globally (i.e., same towards all of its
connected clients at the moment) to tackle the hidden/exposed node
problem, but again must do this adaptively and change this constantly
without human intervention. There exist multiple advanced algorithms
for this, some proprietary tuned for corporate deployment.

Actually, if we accepted automatically retuning tx power with iw based
on actual link stats of momentarily connected clients every 60s with
cron, this could be added to OpenWrt pretty easily.

- https://www.litepoint.com/blog/wi-fi-6-ofdma/
- https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-3/b_RRM_White_Paper/tpc.html