Re: [ANN] wireless-regdb: master-2023-09-01

On Tue, Oct 31, 2023 at 4:39 AM Seth Forshee <sforshee@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 24, 2023 at 02:23:26PM +0800, Chen-Yu Tsai wrote:
> > I'd like to take up maintainership.
>
> Thanks for volunteering! Sorry I didn't get respond sooner, this thread
> was buried kinda deep in my inbox so I didn't notice your message right
> away.
>
> > As far as I know, I would need to:
> >
> > 1. Make a clone of the repository on git.kernel.org under my own namespace.
> > 2. Generate a key pair and certificate
> > 3. Put the certificate into the kernel tree
> > 4. Update the docs to point to the new repository and certificate
> > 5. Review incoming patches and apply them
> > 6. Tag releases timely
> >
> > I'm not sure if I missed anything.
>
> That's the bulk of it. Most of the time is spend validating proposed
> changes against the government documents. There's also maintaining the
> tools to build the database and moderating the mailing list, but neither
> of those are much effort.

I managed to get some support internally for the validation part. I
should be able to lean on our WiFi team or external partners if docs
provided are insufficient.

One thing I forgot to ask. After a release is tagged, is there some
magic bot that produces a tarball and uploads it to kernel.org? Or
is that a manual process?

> Johannes will be the one who needs to accept your key into the kernel,
> so we should wait for a +1 from him at least before we really get the
> ball rolling.

+Johannes for his opinion.

Thanks!
ChenYu