Re: Tx power for slave devices in ETSI DFS region

On 1/15/19 5:45 AM, Johannes Berg wrote:
>> Question is: does wireless core assumes that each device can do radar
>> detection in slave modes (eg acting as a STA) and it is enabled by
>> default? I couldn't find any logic in kernel which would limit 27 dbm
>> power to 20 for STA devices.
>
> No, we shouldn't assume that it can do radar detection by itself ...
>
> I guess we should have some code? Or just fix the regdb?
>
> johannes

Maybe we have to do both, as there are multiple things to consider:
- current regdb values are fine for AP mode
- Tx power values can be 3 dbm higher if TPC is supported. This is
mentioned in a comment in regdb, but not used anywhere.
- if STA detects radar, non-occupancy period must start
- when non-occupancy period elapses, STA must do CAC before returning to
channel. I guess CAC must be triggered by wpa_supplicant?

I'm not sure how to present additional information in regdb while
preserving backwards compatibility. Maybe we can:
1. Have a separate rule marked with NO_RDETECT flag which will advertise
lower Tx power. Linux wireless core will have to select rule with
highest Tx power if possible, for better results.
2. For TPC 3dbm gain, have a flag TPC_GAIN
As an example, AW rules will look like:

country AW: DFS-ETSI
	(2402 - 2482 @ 40), (20)
	(5170 - 5250 @ 80), (20), AUTO-BW, TPC_GAIN=3
	(5250 - 5330 @ 80), (20), DFS, AUTO-BW, TPC_GAIN=3
	(5490 - 5710 @ 160), (27), DFS, TPC_GAIN=3
	(5490 - 5710 @ 160), (20), DFS, NO_RDETECT, TPC_GAIN=3

Linux wireless core will have to update Tx power values when switching
from AP and STA modes, and somehow notify drivers.