RE: Editing article: Build your own PHP on Windows

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the interest on building yourself.

For
> "Requirements" in "Compiler" I assume the "Code" edition of Visual Studio
2015
> is not relevant. The part I am unsure of is the build directory; I assume
it is true
> that "php-sdk" can be a sub-directory.
>
> Compiler
>
> Requirements
> For Visual Studio 2015, the editions are Community (free) and Enterprise.

Correct.

> Setup
> Add a download link, as in:
> Downloads | Visual Studio
> https://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs

The link might change with the next VS release.

>   Command prompt
> Add: "Start" | "Visual Studio 2015" | "Visual Studio Tools" | "Windows
Desktop
> Commands"

Not sure I'm able to find this path on my system. Usually you just start
typing like "vs2015 x64" and the start menu shows the correct links. The
correct shells are listed on the wiki already. Some also use vcvarsall.bat.

> Download prerequisites
> Be sure to click on the "Download source code" link. The file name will be
in the
> format php-{version}-src.zip. If it does not have the suffix "-src" then
it is not a
> source code file.

The wiki says "download a source archive", the name or the link itself might
change.

> Setup the build directory
> Change "Setup" to "Set up". (I am not a language expert but I think
"setup" is not
> a verb; it is a noun only. It is a minor detail.) For Step 1, the "build
directory"
> c:\php-sdk can be on a different drive and "php-sdk" can be a
sub-directory.
This is not correct. Currently the paths are hardcoded at many places, so
moving around should happen.

> For Step 6, the zip file should have the directory in the format
php-{version}-
> src.zip and that directory can be copied as-is to {build
> directory}|\phpdev\*vc##*\*x##*| where {build directory}|is |c:\php-sdk
unless
> you chose something else.

Correct.

> Compile
> The build output is in:
> C:\php-sdk\phpdev\vcXX\xbb\php-source-directory\xbb\Release_TS
> where xbb is x64 or x32.
This is not correct. The 32-bit build won't have any prefix. Also the
location is only relevant as long as no custom object dir is used.

I'd suggest you to work a bit more with the various build variants first,
before running for wiki edits. Maybe also work more with VS itself and
compilation on Windows, as that's not the part to be explained in that wiki
page. The most of the intended edits look misleading to me right now.

Thanks.

Anatol