fsockopen - certificate verify failed - how to import certificate /disable the check

Hello PHP Windows community List,

I'm using PHP 5.6.12 and getting the error message:

Warning: fsockopen(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error
messages: error:14090086:SSL
routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify failed in
X:\xampp\htdocs\.... on line 320

I'm using a XAMPP portable installation. I took the cacert.pem from a
subdirectory of the xampp installation
(perl\vendor\lib\Mozilla\CA\cacert.pem) and copied it to X:\xampp\apache

What I tried so far is adding the lines

openssl.cafile="X:\xampp\apache\cacert.pem"
ssl.verify_peer = false
openssl.verify_peer = false

to the php.ini. Restarting apache ... same error. I exported from my
Firefox the self signed certificate and the corresponding root
certificate as pem files and added these to the cacert.pem file.
Restarted apache ... same error.

WTF do I have to do to a disable the check or to use the existing
certificate? I tried to increase the logging in php.ini to E_ALL with no
more useful information in the log and set apache log level to debug,
still no information what to do with this error.

Regards Martin