phpinfo() not finding intl and mbstring

With PHP 5.5.6 VC11 x64 Non Thread Safe:

I unpacked the distribution on my machine, keeping the default file
structure but also installing a PECL extension in \ext. Running from the
CLI, everything seems to be working. However, phpinfo() indicates that
the intl and mbstring extensions are not loaded. Also, "php -i" says
they are not loaded but "php -m" says that they are. I tested functions
from both extensions and they are working.

Looking online, it seems this problem has existed for several years.
People look at phpinfo() and think that mbstring and intl aren't loaded.
The Linux distribution doesn't display this problem.

                          unladen european swallow