PHP and Crystal Reports

I am working on a project to update reporting on a system.  On each report,
the current system uses PHP to make one or more mySQL queries, iterates
through the query results and manipulates the data, and then generates HTML
for display.  I am tasked with changing the reports to use Crystal Reports
to make them look nicer and to generate PDFs.

I have seen many examples of using COM to create an object factory, to
create a CR app, load the report, and generate a PDF.  However, all of the
examples just load the CR .rpt file, pass the database logon parameters, and
use a direct connection to the database to generate the report.

In .Net and Java, I am able to generate data tables or data sets that I can
hand to the CR .rpt file once I have loaded it.  This would be handy to do
in this case because the PHP code already produces the data that needs to go
on the report.

Is there a way to do this or will I need to rewrite the PHP code as SQL
procedures that I can use to generate the reports?

Thanks very much!

David